How to Improve Your Game

Ice is Tricky

I've been trying to learn how to skate for the past couple of months now, and let me tell you. IT IS THE HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE.

I just don't understand how people all over the world can just easily glide on frozen water (click here to learn how ice works). Luckily for me, I have found three helpful tips on the Internet that will also help you.

1. Learn How to Stop

Stopping is one of the more difficult things about ice skating, and is not for the faint-hearted. I recommend trying the snowplow stop, as it is one of the easier ones I've learned.

But we are all different, do what works best for you. Here is a list of the usual stops.

2. Don't Look Down!

Looking down can lead to you throwing off your balance and falling (though there is nothing wrong with falling sometimes.) I just recommend keeping your head up. 

You wouldn't look down while walking or running would you?

3. Practice

I know this is going to sound like your mom or your eighth grade English teacher said this, but I'm serious. 

The more you're out on the ice, the better you will do. Not only will it help any doubts or fears you have about the ice, but it will help you master the techniques you're looking to accomplish. 

If you're lucky enough, maybe the ice rink you go to will give you a discount because they see you so often.

Be Calm

It can be a struggle to feel comfortable out on the ice, but by combining these things you can do alright. 

While you're waiting to go back on the ice; watch this video of the best hockey fails of 2016.


Answer this question in the comments!

Who is your favorite NHL team?








Ethan Dixon
16edixon@gmail.com

Comments

  1. My favorite team is the Chicago Blackhawks! Sadly, they could be doing better this season.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment