Basic Hockey Lingo

"Help! I don't know hockey lingo what should I do?" - Signed, Hopeless Hockey Hannah

Hello, Hopeless Hockey Hannah!

Sometimes knowing how to speak hockey is rough! It's like learning a new language!

I hope that I can help you, so I will be trying to teach you some of the most popular hockey lingo! Just for you!

Biscuit

Not only is a biscuit an amazing food used with gravy, or as sandwiches but they are also used as a term for pucks.

When you're at a hockey game and you see the biscuit moving across the ice, make sure to acknowledge where it is (and let everyone around you know where it is.)



Hoser

Before the Zamboni was built in 1949 by Frank Zamboni, there were people who hosed the ice to resurface it. 

The people who resurfaced it were usually the losers of the game, so hence the reason why we call losers, Hosers.


Sweater

This one is simple. It's a hockey jersey. 

Please allow everyone in a 10 foot radius of you to see your sweater and if they disagree on your choice, fight them!

Wraparound

A wraparound is when you go around the goal and attempt to hit it into the goal all in one motion.

Snipe

A snipe is a perfectly placed shot

Pipe

The Goal Post

Twig

The hockey stick (popular when they were made of wood.)

Sin Bin

The penalty box. :)


If you guys have any questions about hockey (lingo, plays, teams) please write them in the comments or email me!

Question of the week: Would you buy a season pass to your favorite team?





Ethan Dixon
16edixon@gmail.com

Comments

  1. This was very interesting and helpful. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've gone to a hockey game and couldn't understand half of the things being said. This will for sure help me fit in with the crowd haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes at games you'll hear these words! I'm glad I have helped you!

      Delete

Post a Comment